Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pushing the Limits

Today I did a "Via Ferrata" (fixed rope route) that a couple of years ago was a real challenge for me. I have to admit that I had a lot of respect when I entered it today.

Back then I felt uneasy on from the entry point. Somewhere in the middle of the route there there was this special terrifying feeling in the arms that makes you fear that your hands will let loose at any time and you cannot do anything about it.
I made it to the top without any downfall but completely exhausted and with significant muscle pain. That was the absolute limit for me back then.

In contrast to the disturbing experience from this past undertaking it was quite fun today. There was no annoying fear and I was at no time afraid of my hands letting loose the steel rope without my command.

Maybe I am now somewhat better adjusted to the requirements of such a route. It might alslo be that today my overall fittness was better than back then. In the end it is most likely a combination of these two reasons.

When I now take this today's event with the above explanation of my improvement compared to my last try that makes me a little bit more confident for my professional situation. At the end I hopefully will get the point and understand all this irrational behaviour that I am confronted at work...