Sunday, July 31, 2011

Are Kids the Key for Parents to Keep Current with Technology's Pace?

As my wife and me are expecting a child I was wondering whether it is kids that help their parents to keep posted on new technology. That would imply that people without kids are less able to cope with technological changes throughout their lives than people with children would be able to.

Maybe it is not significant but I guess that it is at least a factor that can make some difference in the long run. As I observe relatives and other people around us in their mid-ages handle current technical gadgets then I wonder how they would manage using these ever more complex technical devices if they wouldn't be teached by their offspring. Indeed, oftentimes it can be seen that older people only can "replay" steps they have been shown by their children.

So, therefore I suspect that this closes the knowledge circle. First, you teach your children to be curious and long for increasing ones knowlege. Then, when your own capacity for learning new things decreases due to progressing age or maybe even decreasing curiousity your children are there to teach you coping with all the new things you are not able to get along with alone any more.

It seems to me that nature has put in place a very interesting safety net for staying current throughout your life... which is especially important in our fast pace, complex, and technology-driven societies.